West Calder is a West Lothian village located four miles west of Livingston, and fifteen miles from Edinburgh. West Calder stands on the A71 Irvine to Edinburgh road, and has its own railway station with a line extending between Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Most housing in West Calder dates from the mid-20th century, though its public library was built around 1903. Funded by Carnegie money, this building represents a fine example of Art Nouveau architecture with a decorative interior. The 17th century parish church was abandoned in 1880, and is now a ruin.